Police Officers

If you work for the police force, you could be eligible to apply for a tax refund for the last 4 years. The average refund is over £319.

Flat rate tax relief for Police Officers

HMRC allow most police officers to claim a special Flat rate tax allowance of £140 per year for uniform tax rebate. If you are on the basic tax rate (20%), this means you could claim back £28 per year. You can claim this rebate back for up to the last 4 years, so you could potentially receive a cash rebate of £112 if you have not claimed before. The following ranks are eligible to apply:

  • Police community support officer (PCSO)
  • Constable
  • Sergeant
  • Inspector
  • Chief Inspector

All police officers in the above ranks can apply. This allowance is not just for uniformed officers – you can claim this allowance irrespective of whether you wear a uniform.

Police Federation subscriptions

If you’re a member of the Police Federation (Pol Fed), you are entitled to claim tax rebate on your monthly subscription (currently £21.58/month). This rebate works out at £52 per year, meaning you can claim a tax rebate of £208 if you are claiming for the last 4 years.

Note: If you work for the Metropolitan Police, the tax relief for Police Federation is provided at source through your wages so you cannot make an additional tax rebate claim for Police Federation costs.

Other uniformed Police employees

If you don’t fall into one of the ranks listed above but are required to wear a uniform to work, you can still make a claim. You would be due a rebate of £48 if claiming for the previous 4 years.