Healthcare Workers

If you work in the NHS or Private Healthcare Industry you could be eligible to apply for a tax rebate for the last 4 years. The average refund is over £220

Tax Rebate Service for Healthcare Workers

If you work as a nurse, midwife, health visitor, healthcare assistant, or any healthcare professional, you are probably eligible for a healthcare worker tax refund. HMRC allow people in these types of professions to claim extra tax relief for certain expenses they may incur as part of their job. If you back date your claim up to 4yrs (as permitted by HMRC), this can be a substantial amount.

Uniform cleaning allowance

If you wear a uniform to work and your employer does not provide any laundry facilities, you can claim a uniform tax allowance every year for the cost of cleaning your uniform. The amount you can claim depends on your specific occupation, Use our tax rebate calculator to see the refund you can claim.

Professional fees and subscriptions

If you pay fees to professional bodies or unions such as the Royal College of Nursing, The British Medical Association, and Unison, or if you pay professional indemnity insurance (e.g Medical Protection Society) you can claim tax relief every year on these costs. HMRC will usually allow you to claim 20% of the cost of these expenses.

Mileage allowance relief

If you use your own car for work, you may be able to claim an additional tax rebate for mileage. You can claim up to 45p per mile for each business journey you make – for example, you may be a health visitor who visits patients in their own home. If you receive less than 45p per mile for from your employer, you can claim tax relief on the difference from HMRC.

Shoes and stockings/tights allowance

If you are required to wear certain shoes or tights while at work, you may be able to claim tax relief for the cost of these items. At present, there is a flat rate of £6 for tights and £12 for shoes during each tax year. You can only claim tax relief for shoes and tights bought for work purposes that you have paid for yourself, and only if you have not been reimbursed by your employer. You can usually backdate your claim for up to four years.